Akan Datang (Coming Soon) & Exhibitions
Akan Datang (Coming Soon) :
1) NUS MUSEUM: “Stories of Wood” (working title) by The Migrant Ecologies Project May-October 2014.
Commissioned and curated by NUS Museum, this exhibition will include all of the
works from the 2013 exhibition at the Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh. It will importantly also include a series of new woodprint collages and photographs produced in dialogue with the NUS Museums’ collection of woodblock prints and in response to Singapore’s historical and contemporary timber trade.
2) LEE KONG CHIANG NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM late 2014
The 23-minute art film Jalan Jati (2012), alongside a new installation of our teak bed, will form part of a permanent exhibit on DNA and trees at the new Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum opening in Singapore late 2014.
1) JALAN JATI (Teak Road) LAUNCH AT ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN EDINBURGH
After three years of research and artistic production, the launch of the Jalan Jati (Teak Road) project took place during the Edinburgh International Science Festival at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (RBGE)’s new John Hope Sustainability Building UK.
The exhibition traced the historic, genetic, material and poetic journeys of a 1950s teak bed found in a Singapore karang guni junk store, back to a location in Southeast Asia where the original teak tree may have grown with the help of DNA tracking technology developed by DoubleHelix. The exhibition aimed to retell the story of this bed in an ecologically and emotionally compelling, and multi-layered manner, with equal weight given to ecological, local-cultural and art historic significances.
Curators: Elinor Gallant/Ian Edwards (RBGE).
LAUNCH OF JALAN JATI (TEAK ROAD) ART BOOK
The exhibition at the Edinburgh Royal Botanic Garden in March-July 2013 also marked the launch of our publication Jalan Jati (Teak Road) The Migrant Ecologies Project. Edited by Yu-Mei Balasingamchow and Printed by the Migrant Ecologies Project Singapore for The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh 2013 ISBN: 978-981-07-5531-7
The 203 page full colour art book, gorgeously designed by Ong Fang Zheng and Hera and printed on FSC paper includes:
- Introductions by Dr Ian Edwards, Head of Exhibitions, Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh and Darren Thomas, DoubleHelix Tracking Technologies.
- Essays by Dr Andrew Lowe & Dr Hugo Volkaerts, Dr Kevin Chua, Lee Weng Choy,
Dr Kate Kangaslahti & Lucy Davis.
- Gallery pages of artworks by Lucy Davis & Shannon Lee Castleman.
2) TOGETHER AGAIN (WOOD:CUT) PART IV ART HISTORIES AT FOST GALLERY Sept-Nov 2013
A group exhibition at FOST Gallery, Gilman Barracks includes three new works by Lucy Davis. These are prototypes for work in development for the Singapore launch of the Jalan Jati exhibition (working title “Stories of Wood”) at NUS Museum in May next year. The exhibition at FOST is called “A Thing or Two About The Bed” and is curated by Tang Ling Nah.
Latest Film Screenings:
1) Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival 2013.
Jalan Jati will be screened as part of the New Asian Currents section of the Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival October 2013.
2) Oberhausen Film Festival World Tour 2013
Following our win at Oberhausen, (see awards section below) Jalan Jati was selected for the Oberhausen Film Festival World Tour 2013 (Artist Film & Video section), with screenings in over 30 international venues including: The Barbican, London and the Los Angeles Film Forum, USA.
3) Opening of the Centre for Contemporary Art Gillman Barracks Singapore
A specially-commissioned 5 minute edit of Jalan Jati will be screened during the official opening of the Centre for Contemporary Art at Gillman Barracks in October 2013.